FO Friday – Signature Stripes

After putting it down to start and finish numerous other projects, I finally finished my Signature (without the) Stripes!  My project page says it took me two months, but it was obviously not two months of actually working on it.  I knit several other things during that time.

  • PatternSignature Stripes, Project Page
  • Yarn: SweetGeorgia Yarns Tough Love Sock – Evergreen (bought at their studio in Vancouver!)
  • Needle size: US2 for ribbing and US4 for everything else
  • Mods and More:
    • Obviously, I omitted the stripes!
    • I knit each sleeve for an extra three inches, which turned out to be the perfect length.
    • I seamed the shoulders before picking up stitches for the neck (the pattern didn’t specify when to seam them). If I knit this again, I might modify to do a three-needle bind-off at the shoulders instead of binding off as written.
    • I used alternating cable cast on for all the cast ons.  (If you can call it a mod if the pattern doesn’t specify which to use.)
    • My row gauge was bigger than the pattern row gauge, so the fronts took fewer rows. When picking up for the neck, I picked up 48 sts along the left front and 44 along the right front. I decreased 4 stitches evenly spaced along the left on the next round.
    • I knit the body to pattern, but it is too short for my taste. The bathroom FO photo is pre-blocking; I am going to see if I can stretch the length when I block.
Sleeves in progress

Sleeves, mid-knit

After taking literally weeks to knit the first sleeve (I got very bored and knit a million other things, as seen above), I finally got serious about finishing and banged out the second sleeve in two days.  I alternated skeins for the entire body and one sleeve. I did not alternate for the second sleeve and I can’t even tell which sleeve that was. I’m very impressed with SweetGeorgia based on this project.  This was my first time using their yarn and it was definitely a good experience.  This was also my first time knitting set-in sleeves. The seaming was easier than I expected (I used mattress stitch) and I really like the fit at my shoulders.

In my tradition of late-night FOs, I finished the seaming at about 12:30 Thursday night.  I wove in the ends the next morning and wore the sweater to work!
Overall, I’m really happy with this sweater! I think it has a really classic fit and I’m sure it’ll be a new go-to for me. I’m not usually a v-neck person, but I decided to try something new with this, and I definitely like it.

A photo of me wearing the sweater

Work bathroom shot, best shot.

Tagged as: