Sewing Sunday – Sunset Infinity Scarf Cardigan

  • Pattern: Sunset Infinity Scarf Cardigan
  • Size: XL…ish.
  • Fabric: You’d think I’ve learned, but once again it was clearance fabric from FabricLand
  • Modifications:
    • XL body, 3XL sleeves.
    • Trimmed the sleeves down to a taper, folded the end down for a “cuff”
    • Sewed down a bunch of the seams

I’m so happy I made a muslin out of this. The “fronts” are two absolutely redonkulous pieces of fabric, and I was so scared of cutting them wrong and screwing it up.

It spanned my whole living room.

It spanned my whole living room.

Like a loose-fitting straight-jacket.

Like a loose-fitting straight-jacket.

The one thing the muslin showed was that I have huge arms. I blame pole! The sleeves were way too tight, and they didn’t even remotely fit into the arm holes correctly. They were so, so off, and so, so tight, that I just decided to amp up the sleeves. It worked really well for the muslin (I just ripped the sleeves out and then plopped in new ones) but I’m still new enough to this thing that I didn’t take into account the stretch and weight of the final fabric.

It took me a couple of weeks to get the courage to cut the final fabric. Once I finally did, it was pretty straightforward to put together. Two sleeves, one back, two “fronts”. I keep saying fronts in quotes because they are so much more than normal cardigan fronts. It makes me think of Breezy but with longer and connected fronts. Something that I would never want to knit, but would always want to wear.

I assembled everything in one day, which is typical for me. If I’m going to sit there and sew, I’m going to finish it. That’s why almost all of my sewing happens on the weekend. The only problem with this was that I put it all together, put it on…and then had to deal with the sleeves. So of course, it got put in a corner and left for another couple weeks. This was by no means a quick project, despite how little time I actually spent working on it. Such is life.

I dug it out again a week ago to make the final adjustments. I just wanted to taper the sleeves down, put in a cuff of some sort, and tack down the seam on the fronts. The process on this was put it on, pin it, take it off, question myself, put it on, repin it, etc. I don’t know how many times I actually did this, but I finally found a taper I liked. I then used some brightly colored tape I had on hand to give me a guide line. A couple of straight lines later, I had sleeves that fit. Flipped the cuffs under 3″ and did a double seam. Found the seam where the fronts met and then ran a seam down on each side of the join. Trimmed down a bunch of excess fabric, and it was done.

Coming soon to @radcraftingcollective the comfiest of cardigans. #Yaaaaas

A post shared by @starcast1c on

It really is super comfy.

It really is super comfy.

Just want to curl up in it!

Just want to curl up in it!